Dec 05, 2013 2:11pm (NBCSports.com)
Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged with sexual assault, state attorney Willie Meggs announced Thursday.
“We’ve carefully examined all the evidence in this case, and have carefully concluded no charges will be filed against anyone in this case,” Meggs said in a press conference Thursday.
Meggs’ investigation concluded three weeks after reports surfaced that a woman told police she was raped by Winston last winter.
Winston’s DNA matched evidence from the day of the incident, though Winston’s Tallahassee-based attorney, Tim Jansen, has argued the encounter between the FSU quarterback and the accuser was consensual. The accuser’s family has denied that claim, and in a statement released last month said the accuser was told by Tallahassee police she would be “raked over the coals” for accusing an FSU player of rape.
A search warrant was released to the public prior to Meggs’ announcement, in which details of the accusation are revealed (via the Associated Press):
In the warrant, the alleged victim told police she and friends had five to six shots at Potbellys and her “memory is very broken from that point forward.” She said she remembered being in a cab with a “non-descript” black man and going into an apartment where she was raped.
The alleged assault took place about a year ago. The woman didn’t identify Winston, who is black, until about a month later.
The warrant said she tried to fight the man off, and at some point, another man came into the room and told him to stop. But the two went into a bathroom “where he completed the act.”
Her next memory was of the suspect dressing her, putting her on a scooter and dropping her off at a campus intersection. She said she had no idea where the alleged assault took place.
“We have a duty as prosecution to only file those charges if we have a reasonable likelihood of a conviction,” Meggs said Thursday. “After reviewing all the events we did not feel we could meet that burden.”